target – reggie joiner
This will be my last post from the Target Conference last weekend.
Reggie Joiner spoke in our 4th Session and informed us that prior to the meeting he had decided to change up what he was going to share with us.
He gave us 5 concepts that youth workers think about every week:
- Student (names and faces)
- Content (what will be shared/taught)
- Production (creating environments to engage a generation)
- Age-Group Focus (segmenting church life by age)
He then suggested that we should shift to the following concepts:
- Leader (invest in students and volunteer youth workers)
- Experience (we need to bridge the gap between what we teach and what actually occurs in a student’s life)
- Relationships (we won’t be able to out-produce culture)
- Service (not “how many are attending?” but “how many are serving?”
- Family Ministry Focus (don’t compete with family but compliment it)
I’m sure it’s not reflected here, but this was the best session of the Target Conference. I think these shifts are long overdue. We have a great task before us. I’ll be bringing these topics to our leaders meeting in a couple of weeks to discuss how we can make sure our focus is on the proper concepts.
In the meantime, give me your thoughts.