orange conference session 2: francis chan
Francis Chan shared in the morning session at Orange today. Here’s a few thoughts/quotes/questions from his message:
- The people in the Church are supposed to be filled with the presence of God, but then why can you find more love/compassion/grace/mercy from people in the world?
- Either God enters a person’s life and they change, or you try to “make that happen” by giving a list of rules to try to help them sin less.
- Are we about experiencing the Holy Spirit or just creating an experience?
- Jesus didn’t get excited about a crowd, he became skeptical. “Are you sure you want to be here? Do you hate your father and mother? Are you willing to die?”
- Jesus’ Parable about the Sower and the Seeds (Matthew 13:13) “Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.” A farmer only works with the good soil. He goes where there is fruit. Why would he spend time with soil that won’t produce? They love the world too much.
- God’s design wasn’t for individual followers to be a light for the world, but for the people collectively to be his witnesses. (This is in contrast to our individualist culture)
- What are we doing that is Biblical? What are we doing that is American?
- What will it feel like when you get to heaven and hear God’s voice say, “Well done.” Is there anything else on earth you would rather hear than those two words? Are you still living for that?